My Little Pony Friendship is Magic I would like some opinions about Twilights relationship to Celestia

KotokoAihara posted on Apr 25, 2012 at 05:39AM
Has anyone else been wondering why Twilight is so close to the royal family. Ever since I started watching MLPFIM this really has been bugging me. Celestia took interest in Twilight after seeing her magical capabilities. I don't know about you, but that worries me. I kind of compare this to Harry Potter where Dumbledore was basically preparing Harry for his showdown with Voldemort. Cadence said Twilight was special, Discord knew who she was and commented on her being the Spirit of Magic, and there have been other incidences where they made a big deal about her. Anyways I want some opinions about why Celestia gives Twilight the special treatment. Sorry for the really long intro and I know it's possible that i'm just over analyzing, but it is fun to talk about. Anyways I'd like some opinions on this subject and don't be afraid to give your opinion as long as it has to do with the subject and please as much as possible no cussing. Okay thanks.

last edited on Jun 26, 2012 at 05:17AM

My Little Pony Friendship is Magic 17 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago noahnstar1616 said…
I think that it's because Twilight doesn't have any other power like regular unicorns.
over a year ago KotokoAihara said…
I get that, but don't you think it's kind creepy how much she depends on her. Like I was saying its like she's trying to prepare her for something big. My little sister was even saying what if Celestia isn't as good as we think she is. Maybe even slightly evil? I know its a bit strange especially since MLPFIM is usually an upbeat show, but with the season 2 finale actually having an evil villain it makes me wonder what other things they will do since the story is now open to deeper plot line.
over a year ago whiteclaw said…
surprise
I never thought of that, she is often portrayed as the mane character.
I was wondering what you guys think? Is it possible something really big is going happen and Celestia is just building Twilight up for it? Or the extreme part where Celestia may actually turn out to be the villain of some sort.
over a year ago fishypup said…
The relationship between Twilight and Celestia does seem to very much resemble that between Harry and Dumbledore. No doubt to Rarity's chagrin, Twilight has the most Canterlot connections of the mane six. Is Celestia trying to build the "Elements of Harmony" girls up for something really, really big (and Twi in particular, as she has been recognized and treated somewhat specially her whole life--is she a Harry Potter pony of sorts?), a la the ultimate showdown against Voldemort? I wouldn't discount the hypothesis. Sounds likely to me. There's been plenty of fan speculation that Celestia may not be quite as pure and perfect as she appears...perhaps not that she's truly evil, but that she's got some secret(s) of which even Twilight and others close to her aren't yet aware. That she may not be as open, honest, sweet, genuine, etc., as she appears. Again, it's an idea I wouldn't throw out, even though it would be tricky to reveal anything TOO dark about the long-idolized, beautiful princess...no doubt someone would complain about the message that would send to the child viewers about how you can't trust anyone and little girls will suddenly be afraid of their (bloody pink) Celestia toys and yadda yadda. :P

Thinking about HP made me wonder into which houses the ponies would be sorted. I'm guessing RD & AJ-Gryffindor, TS & Rarity-Ravenclaw, and Fluttershy & PP-Hufflepuff? Unless AJ & PP switched? xD I love Slytherin, but I don't really think it would be THE best for any of them.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago shadirby said…
Hm...Probably the way Twilight is to her. I mean, Celestia is kind of a second mother to her. She's been Celestia's apprentice since she was a filly. So, Celestia and Twilight are sort of mother and daughter. Or atleast I think.
over a year ago fishypup said…
^ Yeah, I think there is a sort of "second mother" bond there. At least Twilight has two loving biological parents, unlike poor old Harry. ^^; Celestia has no offspring as far as we know...just a niece and nephew. Twilight certainly means a great deal to her.
big smile
@fishypup I really appreciate your answer. I don't want anything too dark, but then again you never know cause as I said the season 2 finale really does open up new possibilities. Anyways I really appreciate you taking the time to answer so fully.

@shadirby I thought about that as well. Twilight is definitely like a daughter to Celestia. I think it would be interesting to meet all the other students at the magic academy at Twilight was admitted into. Hopefully they include an episode.
over a year ago queencold said…
Twilight's been the princess' protege from a very young age. They have had plenty of time to bond. The princess also enjoys Twilight's company, because - even though Twilight is still very polite to her - she treats her like a normal pony more than other ponies.
Yes, it is true that she's basically been training the unicorn to fight off evil, but it is her royal duty to do so.
@queencold So do you agree with my Harrry potter analogy. @anyone who answers Would you dislike MLPFIM if they made the show a bit deeper and darker like the finale?
I thought I would add this statement that I found off of MLPFIM wiki. "Lauren Faust suggested that there is more to Princess Celestia than has been depicted of her in the series. She says, in relation to the events of the flashback, Celestia sensed that Twilight Sparkle is connected to the Elements of Harmony and arranged the dragon-hatching test for her. She then raised and trained Spike, and subsequently assigned him to be Twilight's assistant." I wanted to add this because I recently just found this statement and thought that it made my prediction plausible. Anyways tell me what you guys think. If you would like to read this for yourself here is the link link. Look under Twilight Sparkle: The exam .
over a year ago Dewheart said…
If it was a somewhat darker show I could see something like what Fishypup said happening. Although I think it's probably just because Twilight had more magical potential (along with her brother) than most unicorns. After seeing the limits to Celestia's own magic in the fight against Chrysalis, it seems possible that Twilight may eventually be able to surpass her mentor.

Celestia (as far as we know) has no children and no one after her and Luna to rule Equestria. That could possibly be Celestia's reason for singling Twilight out. After all, Twilight is pretty big on organization. We don't know what exactly causes Celestia and Luna to live so long, but if it has anything to do with magic or the elements of harmony than Twilight may live a long time as well.

I'm not forgetting about Cadence, but I think she is just a distant relative of the royal sisters. Also she doesn't appear to have a lot of magical talent. She seems more on par with a regular unicorn. The whole royal wedding took alicorns down a few pegs from their godlike status and made them seem more equal to the other ponies.

I wouldn't dislike the show if it turned out to be Celestia training Twilight to fight off a great evil, similar to Harry Potter. It is a possibility and it would be an interesting plot twist.

I always suspected that there was more to Celestia than was shown. Like when she "left" her sick bird where Fluttershy could find it. She always seems to be teaching the ponies about friendship without revealing her hoof in the matter. She's definitely a lot smarter and wiser than most people give her credit for. I'm interested in learning more of her backstory.

Ultimately though, whatever happens I don't think will be too dark. Celestia wouldn't do something evil. That just wouldn't fit in with the show or it's message, and it would be out of character.

On a somewhat random note, these are two pmv's about Twilight and Celestia really tug on your heartstrings. (at least they do for me)

I'm not a religious person, but the dear princess Celestia one really fits the show so well that I can get bast the blatantly obvious religious meaning by imagining the song how it's portrayed in the pmv.
over a year ago Dewheart said…
It wouldn't let me post both videos in one thing so here's the other.
@Dewheart Thanks for the reply! The videos do a good job of portraying their relationship. Actually I just thought of something in A Canterlot Wedding Queen Chrysalis brought Twilight to a hidden cavern. Well my guess is that whatever secret Princess Celestia may have is there because that place was pretty huge not to mention who knows that else is hiding behind those crystals. Also I think the defeat of Princess Celestia was the one part I did not like. I think Celestia shouldn't be the one to defeat Chrysalis, but I think she should have been able to fight longer and maybe actually wound Chrysalis. I actually think Cadance may be stronger than Princess Celestia because it was her power (the power of love) that defeated Chrysalis. It wasn't Shining Armor because he was out of power. Everything from the blast to the shining eyes thing was Cadance transfering power to him. So I actually think Cadance is stronger than she may appear.
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago LavenderLily said…
smile
I guess the plot requires it . Those people above me said it all
over a year ago bloodyjam said…
Referring to the "fighting off a huge evil" thing that was being compared to Harry Potter, Twilight is the element of magic; the sixth element that goes with the elements of harmony. The job of the embodiments of the elements of harmony, correct me if I'm wrong, is to maintain Harmony. It would only make sense that Celestia would nurture Twilight's obvious talent so that eventually she could bring together the rest of the elements of harmony.
I understand maintaining harmony and I understand that it is definitely something that a ruler would like to nurture. And I think you do make a good point about that. However, I remember that there have been a few cases in the show where characters have called unicorns (possibly including alicorns) being called greedy like in Hearts Warming Eve and A Canterlot Wedding. The Canterlot Wedding one is probably more important because Queen Chrysalis placed Twilight in captivity in the caverns where unicorns and the like fought over the treasures inside. As I said in my earlier post I think that whatever Princess Celestia may be hiding is somewhere in those caverns.