Music What makes it music?

harold posted on May 10, 2011 at 05:40PM
The old PWEI song has the sample: "Music is just organized noise...and noise is poison to the mind!"

While that is an extreme viewpoint, it reflects an interesting question. On one level, music is just sound. For many of us, we have genres, styles and types of music that we like ("good music"), we may also have kinds of music that we don't like ("bad music"), but we can usually tell if something is music, as opposed to random sound.

So, if we can tell what music is just by listening to it - whether we think it's good or bad - can we identify what it is that makes a given sound music, rather than noise? For the music you like and the music you don't like, what is different about it that makes it music, for you?

Music 1 reply

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago KowalskiTheLich said…
The music I listen to usually includes complicated melodies, lots of different instruments (most of which are difficult to play) and very fast playing. I'm not really sure what makes any given instrument more 'musical' than another, but I believe what I listen to is more music than rap or pop because the lyrics and vocals always play backseat to the music, which is generally the opposite in rap and pop.
Another thing I like about in my music is the types of instruments they use. I mostly listen to metal with keyboards or other classical instruments; very few bands I like have only guitars, drums and a base. And just the fact that these guys can play everything so fast and get it all perfect is another reason I consider it music and not just noise.