Debate Can The Assasination Of A Dictator Be Justified?

amazondebs posted on Feb 16, 2008 at 04:18PM
what's your views on this, can it be justified? can killing someone ever be justified even for the benefit of others? does it depend on the dictator?

Debate 8 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago SG1-090 said…
in a word ..yes
over a year ago Cara09 said…
I think that one could justifie the killing on a dictator to people depending on what they have done. and yes killing someone for the benifit of others can be justified.
over a year ago knifewrench said…
Nope.

Killing should only be allowed (in my opinion) in the case of a zombie outbreak (go ahead, laugh at me) or a meaningful war (such as World War 2, if the Nazis weren't taken down we would be f***ed).
last edited over a year ago
over a year ago germany123 said…
its not our place as humans to judge who "deserves" to die.
over a year ago amazondebs said…
true,
but what if the dictator themselves has been deciding who shall live and die?
over a year ago Cinders said…
I want to add on to knifewrench's circumstances that it also OK in self-defense. If it's kill-or-be-killed you're not just going to stand there and be killed.

If it's an outside force going in, unsolicited by the oppressed people, then no, I don't think they have that right. If a people is revolting, or solicits help, I think the dictator should be taken from power with deadly force IF NECESSARY. And then given a trial in International Courts.

I don't believe in the death penalty. I believe in deadly force if necessary. But if it's possible to take out a dictator without deadly force (and it is) then s/he shouldn't be killed. (What was the last female dictator, I mean, really?)
over a year ago dazl said…
Cinders, I looked that up. Apparantly the main contenders appear to be Imelda Marcos and Boadicea. Marcos wasn't even in charge! And Boadicea...well, I think she was categorised as a rebelling hero.

The assassination of a dictator...it could be the Machiavellian view of life- the end justifying the means. I mean, if someone had eliminated Hitler in 1926, would World War Two have happened? Had Stalin been assassinated before he consolidated his power, how many Russians would have been sasved from death in the gulags?

I don't agree with the U.S method of eliminating a dictator because their agenda diverges from the U.S's, like the CIA taking out the democratically elected left-wing leader of Guatemala, which led to dictatorship in Guatemala in the fifties.

I really can't remember the point I was making...
over a year ago DrDevience said…
Perhaps it would be more helpful to the world if The US of Freakin A would stop funding dictators to start with.... That whole Hitler thing could not have happened without the US banks laundering the money stolen from the Jewish people.

And ya know... most of the world's dictators have been, in some way, aided by the US... and then when that dictator stops dictating the way the US wants them to dictate, then they send in the assassins...

Yeah, to answer the question, I am all for ending a dictatorship by whatever means necessary... let's start with Bush.
last edited over a year ago