Debate Homosexual Fearmongering

Cinders posted on Mar 08, 2008 at 01:38AM
“Members of disliked minority groups are often stereotyped as representing a danger to the majority’s most vulnerable members. For example, Jews in the Middle Ages were accused of murdering Christian babies in ritual sacrifices. Black men in the United States were often lynched after being falsely accused of raping White women.

In a similar fashion, gay people have often been portrayed as a threat to children. Back in 1977, when Anita Bryant campaigned successfully to repeal a Dade County (FL) ordinance prohibiting anti-gay discrimination, she named her organization “Save Our Children,” and warned that “a particularly deviant-minded [gay] teacher could sexually molest children” (Bryant, 1977, p. 114). [Bibliographic references are on a different web page]”

From the article I posted last week, link

I wanted to discuss this article, but no one really commented on it so I'm forcing a discussion over here. Out of curiosity, do you think that accusations that homosexuals are a danger to our children are more targeted at gay men? I mean, isn't that the anti-gay stereotype? "Gay men are pedophiles?"

I was reading this article, written by a lesbian, and wondered, is it just me or are gay men demonized more than gay women? I mentioned this somewhere before, about double standards, and I'm sorry if I'm repeating myself but-- I mean... I don't mean to say that lesbians are any less discriminated against for who they are on a personal basis, but the general, sweeping idea of being against homosexuality seems to me to be especially targeted at men.

I also learned the etymology of the word "homosexual." It evolved in the last century (and by the last century, I mean the 1900s). Homosexuality came first, as a label, and then heterosexuality rose out of that to play its opposite. That said, I realized that the only Biblical translations that would have the word "homosexuality" would be a 20th century translations. That means all versions of the Bible on link.

Which means that, if we want to get really technical and jump through a bunch of serious loopholes, God never actually said that homosexuality was wrong. He may have said sodomy was wrong-- but not homosexuality. See, now I'm being an annoying bitch because I'm playing with semantics and confusing the hell out of you. But think about it. Seriously.
last edited on Mar 08, 2008 at 01:41AM

Debate 7 replies

Click here to write a response...
over a year ago dazl said…
I agree with the whole double standard. My theory on this:

-Gay men vs lesbians
-Western society- largely patriarchal(Eastern society as well)
-Men- 2 women=hot
-Men- 2 men= threatens their cultural norms, idea of submission to another man undermines role defined for men in modern society as that of dominant sex.
-Men; demonise it to make it abhorrent, which in turn will be rejected by the masses, so that life conforms to their societal expectations and role within society.

I sound a little fem-Nazist.
over a year ago DrDevience said…
I just haven't the energy right now Carly...

You know I agree with you on this one.
over a year ago xhis14 said…
I read in a book once that the greek philosophers often would trade their thoughts and knowledge for sexual favors from students. I also saw on a tv show that squires would do the same thing for their knights. I believe that way back when, when the bible was written, that men did this frequently. So for me, this undermines everything we think we know in today's society about homosexuality. Only in the last 300-400 years have these views on gay people come into existence. Whenever I see christian peeps (or other religions) protesting against gays, I think how dumb they would feel if they found out about these types of things that happened in biblical times. Hell, Jesus may have even done the same as the philosiphers or knights to his disciples...XD But then again, there is no way to know for sure now is there ;P
over a year ago Cinders said…
xhis14: See my article link
over a year ago xhis14 said…
Good Job Cinders, you pretty much proved my point XD
over a year ago tessajanuary said…
To play devil's advocate, Cinders, regarding your last point:
"...God never actually said that homosexuality was wrong. He may have said sodomy was wrong-- but not homosexuality."
But isn't homosexuality, or at least male homosexuality, sodomy? So while it may not say the word "homosexuality", if it is sodomy, isn't it also wrong?
over a year ago Cinders said…
But sodomy, in it's original meaning, can be practiced by two men or a man and a woman. Gay men can have sex without sodomy. And lesbians are mostly exempt, without introducing other factors. Therefore, some heterosexuals can also fall under "sodomites" and some gay men may not.